41 Replies

pineapple

I can't wait :D

pineapple, over 3 years ago

pineapple

I was never good at predictions, I just want to buy the new MBP Retina

SkinnyGeek1010

Oh snap... I forgot all about this, thanks for reminding me!
Live stream is supposed to be here on Apple's site.

SkinnyGeek1010, over 3 years ago

bonzai

Also on macrumors http://www.macrumors.com/

looking good

bonzai, over 3 years ago

pineapple

I'll be curious to see what they have to show about flat design

pineapple

Lol those little cars are sweet

bonzai

Not sure how i feel about OSX "Mavericks"

bonzai, over 3 years ago

pineapple

Can't innovate anymore. My ass!

SkinnyGeek1010

Wow, I can't wait to get the new iOS7 =D

I really like the flat design... it seems to emphasis the content and not flashy chrome. The only part I really don't care for is the messages... they look really really bland from the presentation, oh well.

The new Mac Pro looks really cool! (well the specs anyway.... the design is still growing on me lol)

pineapple

All i wanted was refreshed macbook pros :(

guess i wont be getting a new computer now

SkinnyGeek1010

Ehh, yea I forgot about those. Yea I would def. not get the current retina Macbook Pro.... they're amazing, but it can be a bit janky if it's not hooked up to external monitors. I also ordered one before I knew the ram was soldered in.... #fail.

The new MacBook Air looks nice, but I couldn't bring myself to get one, even though I see sooooo many people using them for web dev (with tiny terminal fonts too!).

pineapple

wait really? what do you mean janky?

pineapple

damn, soldered in ram.. thats gay.. i better get 16gb then

SkinnyGeek1010
posted by pineapple on Mon, Jun 10 at 08:28PM

For example... if you're swiping between desktops it can drop under 60 fps, not usually a problem but intermittently. A lot of websites can be janky as well, for example, facebook's wall, html5 rocks, instagram... or anything with intense css3 stuff going on. However the latest Chrome and Safari have really helped, and it's not very noticeable anymore.

pineapple
posted by SkinnyGeek1010 on Mon, Jun 10 at 11:23PM

For example... if you're swiping between desktops it can drop under 60 fps, not usually a problem but intermittently. A lot of websites can be janky as well, for example, facebook's wall, html5 rocks, instagram... or anything with intense css3 stuff going on. However the latest Chrome and Safari have really helped, and it's not very noticeable anymore.

hmm.. hows that even possible? did you get low specs or something?? or because its retina?

lush

Initial thoughts, Mavericks looks good (the name sucks ass). Finally a good reason to upgrade. The interactive iBooks stuff is pretty neat. It's like they are pulling the good bits from iOS onto the desktop. iCal looks more usable now, and could be a replacement for other GTD apps, at least for personal use.

Mac Pro - This is pretty damn sweet. It's a shame they have done away with the legendary Power Mac/Mac Pro tower, but the features of this thing is amazing. The only thing that will stop me from buying this is the price point. I will happily build myself a Hackintosh to get an increased amount of power at a reasonable cost.

iOS7 - some of the flat ui elements look nice but a majority looks like they borrowed a designer from Microsoft. I want my UI to look like it was engineered by Apple, not Microshaft. I will probably delay in updating to this release as much as I can and wait till next year for iOS8. Unless they fix what a majority of people are complaining about, which is highly unlikely. Would probably have to test this out at an Amazon Showroom before I actually use it.

lush, over 3 years ago

SkinnyGeek1010
posted by pineapple on Tue, Jun 11 at 02:39AM

hmm.. hows that even possible? did you get low specs or something?? or because its retina?

Yea just because of retina. You're pushing 4x more pixels than before (even more than a 27"), someone said that the graphics card has very little overhead (though it kicks ass on normal monitors). The CSS performance gets amplified on Retina... 4x worse performance lol.

All in all it's definitely worth the upgrade, but I bet the next batch will have better gfx cards.

SkinnyGeek1010
posted by lush on Tue, Jun 11 at 08:03AM

iOS7 - some of the flat ui elements look nice but a majority looks like they borrowed a designer from Microsoft. I want my UI to look like it was engineered by Apple, not Microshaft. I will probably delay in updating to this release as much as I can and wait till next year for iOS8. Unless they fix what a majority of people are complaining about, which is highly unlikely. Would probably have to test this out at an Amazon Showroom before I actually use it.

Yea I was hoping it would be more 'Dribbble' style of flat, for lack of better words. The current beta is also really slow, I might even uninstall it tonight, it's that bad lol. There's like a 400-600ms delay on openeing apps, searching, mostly anything.

pineapple
posted by SkinnyGeek1010 on Tue, Jun 11 at 08:22AM

The current beta is also really slow, I might even uninstall it tonight, it's that bad lol. There's like a 400-600ms delay on openeing apps, searching, mostly anything.

:( this thread is like one big boner kill

pineapple
posted by SkinnyGeek1010 on Tue, Jun 11 at 08:20AM
posted by pineapple on Tue, Jun 11 at 02:39AM

Yea just because of retina. You're pushing 4x more pixels than before (even more than a 27"), someone said that the graphics card has very little overhead (though it kicks ass on normal monitors). The CSS performance gets amplified on Retina... 4x worse performance lol.

All in all it's definitely worth the upgrade, but I bet the next batch will have better gfx cards.

Did you get 16GB of memory? Did you max out the different options? Fuck this is distressing to me :/

Also, do you have 13 or 15"?

Does it happen often enough where it makes you wish you had your old laptop? or just maybe like once per day or even less?

pineapple

By the way... did the whole LG monitor issue get solved? I know people kept trying to return it to get a samsung monitor, but that was awhile ago

pineapple

Last Q: Do your stats match the maxed out computer on this page: http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

I want to by the one all the way to the right

lush

Yea I was hoping it would be more 'Dribbble' style of flat, for lack of better words. The current beta is also really slow, I might even uninstall it tonight, it's that bad lol. There's like a 400-600ms delay on openeing apps, searching, mostly anything.

Yeah, theres a ton of great designers on Dribbble, I would have thought Apple would have used that as for an inspiration. Pretty sure Jobs wouldn't have let this go to market.

Also, Mr P,

I highly suggest visiting an Amazon Showroom a.k.a the Apple Store, Best Buy, etc etc etc.

Spend a good couple of hours on the MBP stress testing the hell out of it, load terminal, run some scripts etc that use the CPU at a high rate etc. Then make an informed decision.

I think the issue with the performance of CSS3 heavy sites is painting.

On a recent escapade, I was doing research on alternative pocket tablets that are more affordable to the iPad mini for doing the most basic thing, flicking though photos. The plan is to load up my photography after its shot to review on a bigger-ish screen, so I can make sure shit comes out perfect whilst I am in the great outdoors. I was shocked to find out that even the premium priced Samsung tablets struggle to do this fluidly enough. The iPad/iPad mini definitely has better performance compared to these other clones.

But yeah, just roll up to any store and test the fuck out of their MBPs or whatever. If you are going to splash a few thousand of your hard earned George Washingtons on a device, better make sure it seals the deal.

I'd rather have a Macbook Air if I wanted something portable for out on the road but I doubt the price would justify the amount of use it would get if I already have a desktop as my main workhorse. The iPad is a nice bridge for both separate use cases. I used to own squared edged MBP a few years back but that mainly lived on my desk.

lush, over 3 years ago

pineapple
posted by lush on Tue, Jun 11 at 11:53AM

If you are going to splash a few thousand of your hard earned George Washingtons on a device...

I love you

And yes, good advice. I've only tested it with basic browsing. I'm going to fire it up and test it to hell.

SkinnyGeek1010
posted by pineapple on Tue, Jun 11 at 10:31AM

:( this thread is like one big boner kill

Haha. On the brighter side, the design is starting to grow on me. I really like certain things like clock, weather, lock screen, and music.

However, I really dislike some other parts, and I really like most of the new 'flat' designs out there. I really like the simplicity, but it looks like different people were working on the icons and messages... and they forgot to show n tell before deploying :|

A Dribbbler's rendition of messages (albeit too small imho):

Apple's version of messages

Login or to comment.

« back to discussion

Tutorials are any resources you learn from.

Examples: an intro to html5 screencast, a pdf about git, photoshop effects tutorials, meta-programming in ruby, lambda calculus, higher-order fixed-point combinators.

Tools are websites, apps or services used -on- your project (indirectly), to aid the process.

Examples: A color scheme generator, email marketing software, usability heat maps, css3 code generators, a downloadable png compressor.

Assets are downloadable files used -in- your projects, usually as code, textures, or images.

Examples: a jquery sticky menu, photoshop brushes, background textures, mvc frameworks, twitter bootstrap, 960 grid system.